10 Things You May Not Know About Whataburger
Way back on Aug. 8, 1950, an adventurous and determined entrepreneur named Harmon Dobson opened up the world’s first Whataburger in Corpus Christi, Texas. He had the goal to serve a burger so big it took two hands to hold and so good that with one bite customers would say, “What a burger!” He succeeded on both counts and turned that one little burger stand into a legend loved throughout Texas and the South.
Today, though a lot has changed, some things will always be the same. Whataburger’s following has grown exponentially thanks to its famous burgers and growing list of menu items, its iconic orange-and-white striped A-Frame restaurants established in the early 1960s, and its on-screen presence in everything from “King of the Hill” to “Friday Night Lights.” However, each and every Whataburger is still made to order, right when it’s ordered, never frozen. Now Whataburger has more than 780 restaurants across 10 states stretching from Arizona to Florida, but road-trippers and hometown folks alike continue gathering under the big orange and white roofs for fresh, made-to-order burgers and friendly service. Whataburger just celebrated its 65th anniversary, and in honor of this milestone, here are 10 things you may not have known about Whataburger.
- As written in Whataburger founder Harmon Dobson’s journal, Whataburger sales totaled $50 on the first day of business on Aug. 8, 1950.
- In the 1950s, the first burgers were larger than usual, so Whataburger had to enlist a local bread company to custom-make special five-inch buns which are still the standard today.
- In the early days, Harmon Dobson, a pilot, would fly his Piper Super Cub plane and drop coupons from the air.
- A banner bearing the Flying W logo has been carried to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro – 19,340 feet above sea level.
- Contrary to popular belief, the numbers at the bottom of ketchup tubs indicate the production line and not the degree of sweetness.
- In 2009, a husband and wife couple, Karl and Carol Hoepfner, were named “Whataburger’s Biggest Fans.” In 2011, they embarked on a one-year tour to visit every Whataburger restaurant in the country.
- The price of an original Whataburger was $0.25 in 1950, a price higher than some competitors due to its better-quality ingredients.
- Spicy Ketchup was a limited-time offer that was made a permanent condiment in 2013 after fans asked for its return. It was originally introduced in 2012 as a limited-time offer.
- The Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit was also a limited-time offer that was placed permanently on the breakfast menu by customer demand.
- Whataburger’s current limited-time offer is the Buffalo Ranch Chicken Strip Sandwich. It features three crispy, all-white meat chicken strips, two slices of Monterey Jack cheese, creamy buttermilk ranch topped off with Whataburger’s own Buffalo Sauce – all served on a toasted five-inch bun.
- 10.15.19 Pac-12 and Big 12 Week 8 Schedule
- 10.07.19 Whataburger Breakfast!
- 09.30.19 College Football Week 6
- 09.16.19 Become a San Antonio Partner Today
- 09.16.19 A Look Into CFB’s 2019 Uniforms
- 09.16.19 Pac-12 and Big 12 Must-see Matchups
- 09.05.19 Media Bowl Projections
- 09.04.19 Bowl Kicks Off Fall Event Calendar
- 08.20.19 Bowl Insider Key Match Up
- 08.20.19 Free Baseline Concussion Testing
- 08.06.19 Get in the Game for $30
- 08.06.19 College Football is Finally Back
- 07.23.19 Media Days Recap
- 07.23.19 2019 Rudy’s Bar-B-Q Pigskin Preview
- 05.13.19 Bowl kicks off on New’s Year Eve
- 04.18.19 Barron Named 2019 Bowl Chair
- 12.19.18 The Guide to a Successful Bowl Week
- 12.12.18 Celebrate Christmas at SeaWorld
- 11.27.18 Team Announcement on Sunday
- 11.19.18 An Impact to Remember
- 11.19.18 Games to be thankful for
- 10.15.18 Still Time To Win $1 Million!
- 10.01.18 Pick the teams and win big!
- 09.18.18 Your chance to join the club!
- 09.18.18 Meet the Interns: Asking Andrew
- 09.12.18 Valero Alamo Bowl Media Projections
- 09.06.18 Kickin’ It With Katie
- 09.06.18 Week 1 produces big winners!
- 09.06.18 Tickets on sale now!
- 08.17.18 Just Getting to Know Josh
- 08.14.18 Pick the Teams Contest
- 07.05.18 Meet Ashley Lopez
- 05.07.18 Help Us Find A Unicorn
- 05.02.18 Bowl Set for Friday, December 28
- 04.16.18 Kiolbassa Named 2018 Bowl Chair
- 04.05.18 Alamodome Shines During Final Four
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.19.17 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.19.17 Ride Share
- 12.19.17 Downtown Parking
- 12.19.17 Taxi Service
- 12.19.17 Alamodome Parking
- 12.19.17 VIA Park & Ride
- 12.14.17 Denny’s $25,000 Grand Slam Giveaway!
- 12.08.17 25 for $25
- 12.06.17 Alamodome Transformation
- 11.20.17 The Leader of the Band – Al Sturchio
- 11.07.17 Don’t Wait, Buy Today!
- 11.06.17 Meet our Balloon Guy, Patrick McFall
- 10.02.17 4-2-1 Ticket Special
- 09.18.17 Calling All Groups!
- 09.05.17 Week One in the Books
- 08.31.17 Meet the Intern: Kerry Colby
- 08.22.17 PrimeSport Chairman’s Club
- 08.08.17 The Rudy’s Family Fun Pack Is Back!
- 08.07.17 Meet the Intern: Gabrielle Hawkins
- 07.24.17 Meet the Intern: Chevy Cawlfield
- 07.24.17 Are you hungry?
- 07.24.17 One Month Away From College Football
- 06.16.17 Fly With Us To See Texas at USC
- 04.13.17 San Antonio Hosts 2017 FBA Meetings
- 02.06.17 Let’s Celebrate
- 02.06.17 Big Events. Big Impact.
- 12.23.16 Upper Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.22.16 Club Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Lower Level Hot Spots
- 12.16.16 Help Us Fill The Bowl
- 12.05.16 The Rudy’s Family Pack Is Back
- 12.05.16 We Have a Winner!
- 12.05.16 Get Your Swag On
- 11.18.16 Tickets for Troops & Kids Matter
- 10.28.16 Getting to the Shamrock Series
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Weekend Timeline
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Gameday Timeline
- 10.17.16 Tailgate for Free at The Alamodome
- 10.13.16 Remember the Comeback
- 10.04.16 Win Big With “Pick the Teams”
- 10.03.16 Win Valero Alamo Bowl Tickets
- 10.03.16 Take a Shot at $1 Million Dollars
- 09.20.16 Catch a Case of Friday Night Fever!
- 09.19.16 Meet the Intern: Brianne Wigley
- 09.06.16 Gridiron Giveaway is Back!
- 09.06.16 Meet the Intern: Will Hoven
- 09.06.16 Notre Dame Returns To San Antonio
- 08.22.16 Meet the Intern: Sara McCarty
- 08.22.16 Don’t Miss The Unforgettable Action
- 08.22.16 Bowl Surprises Scholarship Winners
- 08.09.16 Countdown to College Football
- 08.08.16 Meet the Intern: Ray Silva
- 04.25.16 Jefferson Takes Helm as Chairman
- 01.11.16 Thank You From The Valero Alamo Bowl
- 01.03.16 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU – Quick Wrap
- 12.27.15 Team Arrivals
- 12.21.15 Upper Level Hotspots
- 12.20.15 Tickets As Low as 50 Cents a Point*
- 12.18.15 Club Level Hotspots
- 12.14.15 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU Match-Up
- 12.12.15 The San Antonio Experience
- 12.09.15 Fight Hunger, Score Free Tickets
- 12.07.15 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.30.15 Media Projections – Week #14
- 11.23.15 A Week of Bowl Festivities
- 11.20.15 Tailgate Style Turkey Day
- 11.03.15 The Suite Life
- 10.19.15 Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?
- 10.15.15 Pick The Teams Contest
- 10.05.15 PINKTOBER Ticket Package
- 10.02.15 Take a Swing at $1 Million
- 09.21.15 Buy 3 Get 1 Free Family Deal
- 09.21.15 Friday Night Fever
- 09.21.15 “Oh Whata Night!” – SA Goes Orange
- 09.21.15 Media Bowl Projections- Week 3
- 09.04.15 Meet the Intern: Josh Lightner
- 09.04.15 Hyundai College Football Pickoff
- 08.21.15 Meet the Intern: Adam Rauch
- 08.21.15 Valero Alamo Bowl Gridiron Giveaway
- 08.07.15 Meet The Intern: Alyssa Bailey
- 07.27.15 MEET THE INTERN: CHASE GRIFFIN
- 06.03.15 Summer Mixer
- 12.23.14 The Premium Seats
- 12.22.14 Plaza Level Hotspots
- 12.22.14 Upper Level Highlights
- 12.22.14 Gameday Timeline
- 12.22.14 H-E-B Tailgater of the Game
- 12.20.14 The Perfect Gift!
- 12.20.14 Tis the Season for Giving!
- 12.15.14 What They’re Saying
- 12.15.14 Gear Up and Win!
- 12.08.14 Experience Bowl Week
- 12.07.14 #11 Kansas State vs. #14 UCLA
- 12.01.14 An Olympic Sized Help
- 12.01.14 Gridiron All Stars to Shine
- 12.01.14 Loud and Proud Student Sections
- 11.24.14 Treats to be Thankful for
- 11.23.14 The Suite Life
- 11.17.14 Early Renewal Pays Off!
- 11.17.14 Return of the Final Four
- 11.17.14 Will History Repeat Itself?
- 11.10.14 Don’t miss your chance to win!
- 11.10.14 Beat Next Week’s Price Increase
- 11.10.14 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.03.14 Rudy’s Pack Is Back!
- 11.03.14 Bowl Projections: Week 10
- 10.30.14 Bowl Week Intinerary
- 10.27.14 Connect With Us
- 10.25.14 Downtown Partners
- 10.25.14 Transform Your Tailgate for Fall
- 10.13.14 Looking for a Fall Ride?
- 09.29.14 Top of the Line Tailgating
- 09.29.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.15.14 Sponsor Spotlight
- 09.10.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.02.14 Meet the Intern: Kelly Humphrey
- 08.04.14 Local Coach Goes Hollywood
- 12.23.13 Bowl Records Another Capacity Crowd
- 06.07.13 Bowl Improves Selection Rights
- 05.17.13 Pat Frost Returns as Bowl Chairman
- 02.04.13 Valero Alamo Bowl Highlights
- 11.21.12 Tailgating 101
- 12.29.01 SBC Southwestern Bell Alamo Fan Zone
- 03.25.99 SYLVANIA, Alamo Bowl Join Forces