A Sitdown with San Antonio’s Sausage King
In a plant the size of three football fields, Kiolbassa Smoked Meats is a model of efficiency, making 75,000 pounds of sausage a day.
As the workload gets heavier and the days get shorter as we approach Bowl Week, Valero Alamo Bowl staffers are looking forward to Q&As like the one below to lean on the expertise of their CEO Michael Kiolbassa, who is our 2018 Chairman. It’s time to get to know San Antonio’s Sausage King!
How do you describe your company?
Our family has been devoted to the time-honored tradition of hand-crafting sausage and bacon the slow, authentic way. We use only the finest cuts of meats and the freshest spices. Our mission today is to reintroduce people to authentic, smoked meats the way they were made 100 years ago.
Kielbasa is a staple of Polish cuisine and the spelling of your last name is almost identical. How far back have you traced your family roots?
Our family goes back to Poland. Several of my family members have been back there to talk to our relatives there. 1854 is when we came over to the United States and our first sausages were made here in San Antonio in 1949.
After introducing myself, a lot of people will tell me that they’ve been eating our sausage their entire life – which isn’t true because we had just started selling in their state!
With your company’s growth, it will be tougher to find people who have never been exposed to your sausage.
That is true. Our annual growth rate since 1990 has been 17% a year. That’s something that validates the quality of the product. And the thing I’m most proud of is that we have been able to maintain and even improve the quality during that same time.
What prompted you to reintroduce bacon to your product line?
In the early 60s, my Dad introduced a bacon made with a dry cured method since he didn’t have the space put in the injectors and all the other stuff bigger companies were using. That’s the bacon I grew up on for years and years. When we stopped slaughtering hogs, we stopped making bacon and I switched to store bought bacon which wasn’t comparable.
In thinking of products counter-seasonal to the sausage, I threw out the bacon idea and we agreed it fit into our mission. It’s been crazy how people have taken to it. Everyone produces bacon fast, generally in 24 hours. At Kiolbassa we make it slow and hand rub the salt and spices on the belly and let it cure naturally.
What are you most looking forward to as 2018 Valero Alamo Bowl Chairman?
I’m really honored to be the Chairman and being around all the excitement, coaches, players and fans will be great! It is always such an exciting week for our city and now more than ever I want to showcase all of the positive transformations that have occurred in San Antonio.
Hungry yet? You can buy Kiolbassa Smoked Meats gift packs online and you will be able to sample their products on game day in Tailgate Town in Lot B and the Kiolbassa Smoked Meats Pregame Party at Sunset Station.
- 12.26.19 Game Notes
- 12.22.19 Know Before You Go
- 12.18.19 SeaWorld San Antonio
- 12.09.19 A Halftime Performance to Remember
- 12.05.19 Dome Sweet Dome
- 12.04.19 Championship Game Impact
- 12.04.19 Selection Sunday Schedule
- 11.26.19 If Your Team is In, So Are You
- 11.26.19 Big 12 and Pac-12 Rivalry Week Games
- 11.20.19 Who is coming to San Antonio?
- 11.20.19 Games to Watch in Week 13
- 11.12.19 Team Selection Process 101
- 10.31.19 Experience Premium Texas Hospitality
- 10.31.19 Week 10 Game by Game Analysis
- 10.30.19 Valero Alamo Bowl Happy Hour
- 10.15.19 Pac-12 and Big 12 Week 8 Schedule
- 10.07.19 Whataburger Breakfast!
- 09.30.19 College Football Week 6
- 09.16.19 Become a San Antonio Partner Today
- 09.16.19 A Look Into CFB’s 2019 Uniforms
- 09.16.19 Pac-12 and Big 12 Must-see Matchups
- 09.05.19 Media Bowl Projections
- 09.04.19 Bowl Kicks Off Fall Event Calendar
- 08.20.19 Bowl Insider Key Match Up
- 08.20.19 Free Baseline Concussion Testing
- 08.06.19 Get in the Game for $30
- 08.06.19 College Football is Finally Back
- 07.23.19 Media Days Recap
- 07.23.19 2019 Rudy’s Bar-B-Q Pigskin Preview
- 05.13.19 Bowl kicks off on New’s Year Eve
- 04.18.19 Barron Named 2019 Bowl Chair
- 12.19.18 The Guide to a Successful Bowl Week
- 12.12.18 Celebrate Christmas at SeaWorld
- 11.27.18 Team Announcement on Sunday
- 11.19.18 An Impact to Remember
- 11.19.18 Games to be thankful for
- 10.15.18 Still Time To Win $1 Million!
- 10.01.18 Pick the teams and win big!
- 09.18.18 Your chance to join the club!
- 09.18.18 Meet the Interns: Asking Andrew
- 09.12.18 Valero Alamo Bowl Media Projections
- 09.06.18 Kickin’ It With Katie
- 09.06.18 Week 1 produces big winners!
- 09.06.18 Tickets on sale now!
- 08.17.18 Just Getting to Know Josh
- 08.14.18 Pick the Teams Contest
- 07.05.18 Meet Ashley Lopez
- 05.07.18 Help Us Find A Unicorn
- 05.02.18 Bowl Set for Friday, December 28
- 04.16.18 Kiolbassa Named 2018 Bowl Chair
- 04.05.18 Alamodome Shines During Final Four
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.19.17 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.19.17 Ride Share
- 12.19.17 Downtown Parking
- 12.19.17 Taxi Service
- 12.19.17 Alamodome Parking
- 12.19.17 VIA Park & Ride
- 12.14.17 Denny’s $25,000 Grand Slam Giveaway!
- 12.08.17 25 for $25
- 12.06.17 Alamodome Transformation
- 11.20.17 The Leader of the Band – Al Sturchio
- 11.07.17 Don’t Wait, Buy Today!
- 11.06.17 Meet our Balloon Guy, Patrick McFall
- 10.02.17 4-2-1 Ticket Special
- 09.18.17 Calling All Groups!
- 09.05.17 Week One in the Books
- 08.31.17 Meet the Intern: Kerry Colby
- 08.22.17 PrimeSport Chairman’s Club
- 08.08.17 The Rudy’s Family Fun Pack Is Back!
- 08.07.17 Meet the Intern: Gabrielle Hawkins
- 07.24.17 Meet the Intern: Chevy Cawlfield
- 07.24.17 Are you hungry?
- 07.24.17 One Month Away From College Football
- 06.16.17 Fly With Us To See Texas at USC
- 04.13.17 San Antonio Hosts 2017 FBA Meetings
- 02.06.17 Let’s Celebrate
- 02.06.17 Big Events. Big Impact.
- 12.23.16 Upper Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.22.16 Club Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Lower Level Hot Spots
- 12.16.16 Help Us Fill The Bowl
- 12.05.16 The Rudy’s Family Pack Is Back
- 12.05.16 We Have a Winner!
- 12.05.16 Get Your Swag On
- 11.18.16 Tickets for Troops & Kids Matter
- 10.28.16 Getting to the Shamrock Series
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Weekend Timeline
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Gameday Timeline
- 10.17.16 Tailgate for Free at The Alamodome
- 10.13.16 Remember the Comeback
- 10.04.16 Win Big With “Pick the Teams”
- 10.03.16 Win Valero Alamo Bowl Tickets
- 10.03.16 Take a Shot at $1 Million Dollars
- 09.20.16 Catch a Case of Friday Night Fever!
- 09.19.16 Meet the Intern: Brianne Wigley
- 09.06.16 Gridiron Giveaway is Back!
- 09.06.16 Meet the Intern: Will Hoven
- 09.06.16 Notre Dame Returns To San Antonio
- 08.22.16 Meet the Intern: Sara McCarty
- 08.22.16 Don’t Miss The Unforgettable Action
- 08.22.16 Bowl Surprises Scholarship Winners
- 08.09.16 Countdown to College Football
- 08.08.16 Meet the Intern: Ray Silva
- 04.25.16 Jefferson Takes Helm as Chairman
- 01.11.16 Thank You From The Valero Alamo Bowl
- 01.03.16 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU – Quick Wrap
- 12.27.15 Team Arrivals
- 12.21.15 Upper Level Hotspots
- 12.20.15 Tickets As Low as 50 Cents a Point*
- 12.18.15 Club Level Hotspots
- 12.14.15 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU Match-Up
- 12.12.15 The San Antonio Experience
- 12.09.15 Fight Hunger, Score Free Tickets
- 12.07.15 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.30.15 Media Projections – Week #14
- 11.23.15 A Week of Bowl Festivities
- 11.20.15 Tailgate Style Turkey Day
- 11.03.15 The Suite Life
- 10.19.15 Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?
- 10.15.15 Pick The Teams Contest
- 10.05.15 PINKTOBER Ticket Package
- 10.02.15 Take a Swing at $1 Million
- 09.21.15 Buy 3 Get 1 Free Family Deal
- 09.21.15 Friday Night Fever
- 09.21.15 “Oh Whata Night!” – SA Goes Orange
- 09.21.15 Media Bowl Projections- Week 3
- 09.04.15 Meet the Intern: Josh Lightner
- 09.04.15 Hyundai College Football Pickoff
- 08.21.15 Meet the Intern: Adam Rauch
- 08.21.15 Valero Alamo Bowl Gridiron Giveaway
- 08.07.15 Meet The Intern: Alyssa Bailey
- 07.27.15 MEET THE INTERN: CHASE GRIFFIN
- 06.03.15 Summer Mixer
- 12.23.14 The Premium Seats
- 12.22.14 Plaza Level Hotspots
- 12.22.14 Upper Level Highlights
- 12.22.14 Gameday Timeline
- 12.22.14 H-E-B Tailgater of the Game
- 12.20.14 The Perfect Gift!
- 12.20.14 Tis the Season for Giving!
- 12.15.14 What They’re Saying
- 12.15.14 Gear Up and Win!
- 12.08.14 Experience Bowl Week
- 12.07.14 #11 Kansas State vs. #14 UCLA
- 12.01.14 An Olympic Sized Help
- 12.01.14 Gridiron All Stars to Shine
- 12.01.14 Loud and Proud Student Sections
- 11.24.14 Treats to be Thankful for
- 11.23.14 The Suite Life
- 11.17.14 Early Renewal Pays Off!
- 11.17.14 Return of the Final Four
- 11.17.14 Will History Repeat Itself?
- 11.10.14 Don’t miss your chance to win!
- 11.10.14 Beat Next Week’s Price Increase
- 11.10.14 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.03.14 Rudy’s Pack Is Back!
- 11.03.14 Bowl Projections: Week 10
- 10.30.14 Bowl Week Intinerary
- 10.27.14 Connect With Us
- 10.25.14 Downtown Partners
- 10.25.14 Transform Your Tailgate for Fall
- 10.13.14 Looking for a Fall Ride?
- 09.29.14 Top of the Line Tailgating
- 09.29.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.15.14 Sponsor Spotlight
- 09.10.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.02.14 Meet the Intern: Kelly Humphrey
- 08.04.14 Local Coach Goes Hollywood
- 12.23.13 Bowl Records Another Capacity Crowd
- 06.07.13 Bowl Improves Selection Rights
- 05.17.13 Pat Frost Returns as Bowl Chairman
- 02.04.13 Valero Alamo Bowl Highlights
- 11.21.12 Tailgating 101
- 12.29.01 SBC Southwestern Bell Alamo Fan Zone
- 03.25.99 SYLVANIA, Alamo Bowl Join Forces