While most football fans are focused on the start of the college football season, some intrepid members of the media have already penned their bowl projections.
How much of a crapshoot is picking the postseason destination for 82 universities before the first snap?
Well historically the accuracy of the preseason picks has ranged between 12 and 17%.
Here are the links to this year’s way too early projections for all the games and noting their Valero Alamo Bowl Projections:
Athlon Sports: Arizona State vs. Oklahoma State
College Football News: Oklahoma State vs. Utah
Pro Football Network: Texas vs. Arizona State
247 Sports: West Virginia vs. Utah
Valero Alamo Bowl Selection Rights
The Valero Alamo Bowl has the #1 selection from the Big 12 and Pac-12 conferences after the CFP. For their at-large selections, the CFP bowls select by final ranking so that has allowed teams as high as #10 to be on the board when the Valero Alamo Bowl selects.
These rights have allowed the Valero Alamo Bowl to select these matchups in the CFP era:
- Jan. 2, 2015: #14 UCLA 40 vs. #11 Kansas State 35
- Jan. 2, 2016: #11 TCU 47 vs. #15 Oregon 41 (3OT)
- Dec. 29, 2016: #12 Oklahoma State vs. #10 Colorado 8
- Dec. 28, 2017: #15 TCU 39 vs. #13 Stanford 37
- Dec. 28, 2018: #14 Washington State 28 vs. #24 Iowa State 26
- Dec. 31, 2019: Texas 38 vs. #11 Utah 10
- Dec. 29, 2020: #20 Texas 55 vs. Colorado 23
Our 2021 matchup is expected to be announced by 3 p.m. CST on Sunday, December 5.