Games to be thankful for
The Thanksgiving holiday is a time to give thanks while enjoying family, food and football. To maximize your family time and minimize potential food and football related conflicts, the Valero Alamo Bowl has two suggestions.
First, buy both whole berry and jellied cranberry sauce. Then take advantage of a Black Friday sale to get another television as two of the three games the Valero Alamo Bowl will be scouting this weekend are both Friday night in prime time.
These final games of the regular season that could impact the Valero Alamo Bowl’s selection are:
- Oklahoma @ West Virginia – Friday at 7 p.m. CST on ESPN
- It’s a high stakes showdown in Morgantown with the winner heading to the Big 12 Championship in Arlington. Expect an offensive shootout under the Friday Night Lights as both offenses rank in the Top-10 nationally in points scored per game. OU quarterback Kyler Murray has the 2nd best efficiency rating in the country, but WVU quarterback Will Grier ranks 7th in the country in passing touchdowns with 33.
- The game could come down to which defense plays better and forces more turnovers from these two Heisman contenders at quarterback, as neither team turns the ball over much.
- Washington @ Washington State – Friday at 7:30 p.m. CST on Fox
- The 111th edition of the Apple Cup will be played on Friday night with the Pac-12 North title on the line. The Huskies, led by head coach Chris Petersen, have won five straight meetings. But Cougar quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate Gardner Minshew II hopes to reverse that trend and send the Cougars to the Pac-12 Championship Game for the first time in school history.
- The matchup pits the Huskies’ Top-10 defense against Mike Leach’s Top-15 offense in what is sure to be another classic. Washington has been the most popular media projection for the Valero Alamo Bowl throughout the season, but the Cougars have also been projected to play in San Antonio.
- Utah vs. BYU – Saturday 9 p.m. CST on Fox Sports 1
- The 99th meeting of the Holy War is sure to be an epic battle between the Utes and Cougars. The Pac-12 South Champion Utah Utes will host BYU in a heated rivalry in front of the 57th consecutive sellout at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- After being led all year by the dynamic duo of quarterback Tyler Huntley and running back Zack Moss, both stars went down with injuries in the past month. Redshirt freshman quarterback, Jason Shelley, has stepped up for the Utes and threw two TDs against Colorado last week.
- The strength of Utah is on the other side of the ball as the Utes’ defense ranks 16th in the country in opponent points per game, allowing just 18.5 points per game. Regardless of this weekend’s game, the Utes will play next week in the Pac-12 Championship Game against the winner of the Washington vs. Washington State game.
Regardless of who you root for, this weekend is sure to deliver unforgettable moments with these three HUGE games to watch this weekend. Screen grab a picture of a Valero Alamo Bowl scout on the sideline and tweet us at @valeroalamobowl for your chance to win a pair of bowl tickets.
We hope that you and your family have a great Thanksgiving and we’ll have updated projections when you return from your holiday break!