Help Us Find A Unicorn
By Rick Hill
Valero Alamo Bowl
The Valero Alamo Bowl wraps up each of our first round of internship interviews by instructing the candidate to “Ask us anything. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”
The most common ones inquire about a typical daily schedule, our timetable for hiring and what full-time jobs past interns have landed.
This year, we learned there is actually such thing as a dumb question: “Where are you located?”
We had barely stopped laughing when it came time for our next candidate to ask a question.
He said: “This has been such a fun interview. You obviously have a strong culture. What skills should an intern wanting to make an impact in such an established workplace possess?”
That was the opposite of a dumb question. I talked about our culture and rattled off these key attributes:
- Taking pride in putting out the highest quality work product possible
- Showing initiative to tackle projects outside the scope of your position
- Being the consummate team player to help the organization succeed
As I finished answering the question, it registered how much everything I said was embodied by the person sitting to my right, Valero Alamo Bowl Senior Manager, Events & Marketing Lara Smedley. However, this realization was quickly followed by a wave of sadness.
Ten years after starting as our public relations intern Lara is leaving the Valero Alamo Bowl to launch her own event production company that will operate in San Antonio and her hometown of Denver. Since I’ve never met anyone who can roll-up their sleeves and accomplish more, I know Smedley Events will be an epic success.
There is not one aspect of the Bowl that has not been tremendously improved by something she did with little or no fanfare.
In a testament to her selflessness, she timed her departure to happen in our off-season at a juncture of unprecedented stability in post-season college football as the Valero Alamo Bowl has title sponsor, TV partner and conference agreements through 2025. (Thank you Valero, ESPN and the Big 12 and Pac-12 conferences!)
If you want a rock star event production company who can truly do it all, reach out to Lara.
And while it may be easier to find a unicorn, please forward this job posting to anyone you think could fill Lara’s shoes. Knowing Lara’s drive to make annual improvements, it is no surprise the job description has grown from two paragraphs to two pages over her tenure.
Good luck, Lara! Our organization was very fortunate to have you leading the charge on so many unforgettable events and marketing initiatives. You will always be a part of the Valero Alamo Bowl family.
- 12.12.18 Celebrate Christmas at SeaWorld
- 11.27.18 Team Announcement on Sunday
- 11.19.18 An Impact to Remember
- 11.19.18 Games to be thankful for
- 10.15.18 Still Time To Win $1 Million!
- 10.01.18 Pick the teams and win big!
- 09.18.18 Your chance to join the club!
- 09.18.18 Meet the Interns: Asking Andrew
- 09.12.18 Valero Alamo Bowl Media Projections
- 09.06.18 Kickin’ It With Katie
- 09.06.18 Week 1 produces big winners!
- 09.06.18 Tickets on sale now!
- 08.17.18 Just Getting to Know Josh
- 08.14.18 Pick the Teams Contest
- 07.05.18 Meet Ashley Lopez
- 05.07.18 Help Us Find A Unicorn
- 05.02.18 Bowl Set for Friday, December 28
- 04.16.18 Kiolbassa Named 2018 Bowl Chair
- 04.05.18 Alamodome Shines During Final Four
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.19.17 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.19.17 Ride Share
- 12.19.17 Downtown Parking
- 12.19.17 Taxi Service
- 12.19.17 Alamodome Parking
- 12.19.17 VIA Park & Ride
- 12.14.17 Denny’s $25,000 Grand Slam Giveaway!
- 12.08.17 25 for $25
- 12.06.17 Alamodome Transformation
- 11.20.17 The Leader of the Band – Al Sturchio
- 11.07.17 Don’t Wait, Buy Today!
- 11.06.17 Meet our Balloon Guy, Patrick McFall
- 10.02.17 4-2-1 Ticket Special
- 09.18.17 Calling All Groups!
- 09.05.17 Week One in the Books
- 08.31.17 Meet the Intern: Kerry Colby
- 08.22.17 PrimeSport Chairman’s Club
- 08.08.17 The Rudy’s Family Fun Pack Is Back!
- 08.07.17 Meet the Intern: Gabrielle Hawkins
- 07.24.17 Meet the Intern: Chevy Cawlfield
- 07.24.17 Are you hungry?
- 07.24.17 One Month Away From College Football
- 06.16.17 Fly With Us To See Texas at USC
- 04.13.17 San Antonio Hosts 2017 FBA Meetings
- 02.06.17 Let’s Celebrate
- 02.06.17 Big Events. Big Impact.
- 12.23.16 Upper Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.22.16 Club Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Lower Level Hot Spots
- 12.16.16 Help Us Fill The Bowl
- 12.05.16 The Rudy’s Family Pack Is Back
- 12.05.16 We Have a Winner!
- 12.05.16 Get Your Swag On
- 11.18.16 Tickets for Troops & Kids Matter
- 10.28.16 Getting to the Shamrock Series
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Weekend Timeline
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Gameday Timeline
- 10.17.16 Tailgate for Free at The Alamodome
- 10.13.16 Remember the Comeback
- 10.04.16 Win Big With “Pick the Teams”
- 10.03.16 Win Valero Alamo Bowl Tickets
- 10.03.16 Take a Shot at $1 Million Dollars
- 09.20.16 Catch a Case of Friday Night Fever!
- 09.19.16 Meet the Intern: Brianne Wigley
- 09.06.16 Gridiron Giveaway is Back!
- 09.06.16 Meet the Intern: Will Hoven
- 09.06.16 Notre Dame Returns To San Antonio
- 08.22.16 Meet the Intern: Sara McCarty
- 08.22.16 Don’t Miss The Unforgettable Action
- 08.22.16 Bowl Surprises Scholarship Winners
- 08.09.16 Countdown to College Football
- 08.08.16 Meet the Intern: Ray Silva
- 04.25.16 Jefferson Takes Helm as Chairman
- 01.11.16 Thank You From The Valero Alamo Bowl
- 01.03.16 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU – Quick Wrap
- 12.27.15 Team Arrivals
- 12.21.15 Upper Level Hotspots
- 12.20.15 Tickets As Low as 50 Cents a Point*
- 12.18.15 Club Level Hotspots
- 12.14.15 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU Match-Up
- 12.12.15 The San Antonio Experience
- 12.09.15 Fight Hunger, Score Free Tickets
- 12.07.15 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.30.15 Media Projections – Week #14
- 11.23.15 A Week of Bowl Festivities
- 11.20.15 Tailgate Style Turkey Day
- 11.03.15 The Suite Life
- 10.19.15 Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?
- 10.15.15 Pick The Teams Contest
- 10.05.15 PINKTOBER Ticket Package
- 10.02.15 Take a Swing at $1 Million
- 09.21.15 Buy 3 Get 1 Free Family Deal
- 09.21.15 Friday Night Fever
- 09.21.15 “Oh Whata Night!” – SA Goes Orange
- 09.21.15 Media Bowl Projections- Week 3
- 09.04.15 Meet the Intern: Josh Lightner
- 09.04.15 Hyundai College Football Pickoff
- 08.21.15 Meet the Intern: Adam Rauch
- 08.21.15 Valero Alamo Bowl Gridiron Giveaway
- 08.07.15 Meet The Intern: Alyssa Bailey
- 07.27.15 MEET THE INTERN: CHASE GRIFFIN
- 06.03.15 Summer Mixer
- 12.23.14 The Premium Seats
- 12.22.14 Plaza Level Hotspots
- 12.22.14 Upper Level Highlights
- 12.22.14 Gameday Timeline
- 12.22.14 H-E-B Tailgater of the Game
- 12.20.14 The Perfect Gift!
- 12.20.14 Tis the Season for Giving!
- 12.15.14 What They’re Saying
- 12.15.14 Gear Up and Win!
- 12.08.14 Experience Bowl Week
- 12.07.14 #11 Kansas State vs. #14 UCLA
- 12.01.14 An Olympic Sized Help
- 12.01.14 Gridiron All Stars to Shine
- 12.01.14 Loud and Proud Student Sections
- 11.24.14 Treats to be Thankful for
- 11.23.14 The Suite Life
- 11.17.14 Early Renewal Pays Off!
- 11.17.14 Return of the Final Four
- 11.17.14 Will History Repeat Itself?
- 11.10.14 Don’t miss your chance to win!
- 11.10.14 Beat Next Week’s Price Increase
- 11.10.14 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.03.14 Rudy’s Pack Is Back!
- 11.03.14 Bowl Projections: Week 10
- 10.30.14 Bowl Week Intinerary
- 10.27.14 Connect With Us
- 10.25.14 Downtown Partners
- 10.25.14 Transform Your Tailgate for Fall
- 10.13.14 Looking for a Fall Ride?
- 09.29.14 Top of the Line Tailgating
- 09.29.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.15.14 Sponsor Spotlight
- 09.10.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.02.14 Meet the Intern: Kelly Humphrey
- 08.04.14 Local Coach Goes Hollywood
- 12.23.13 Bowl Records Another Capacity Crowd
- 06.07.13 Bowl Improves Selection Rights
- 05.17.13 Pat Frost Returns as Bowl Chairman
- 02.04.13 Valero Alamo Bowl Highlights
- 11.21.12 Tailgating 101
- 12.29.01 SBC Southwestern Bell Alamo Fan Zone
- 03.25.99 SYLVANIA, Alamo Bowl Join Forces