SAN ANTONIO’S HISTORIC MISSIONS RECEIVE WORLD HERITAGE STATUS
Remember the Alamo..and the four other Missions because they have officially been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The decision was announced on July 5th at the annual UNESCO World Heritage committee meeting in Bonn, Germany.
It’s an elite list with just 22 existing U.S. landmarks. The only World Heritage Site in Texas, the five Missions (including The Alamo) are taking their place among other great American historic and cultural institutions like the Statue of Liberty and Independence Hall, in addition to natural treasures such as the Grand Canyon and world wonders like the Great Wall of China.
The Missions, which are the largest collection of the Spanish colonial architecture in the U.S., are the third designation in the country in the last 20 years.
Susan Snow, archaeologist for San Antonio Missions National Historical Park who has been coordinating the community efforts to secure UNESCO World Heritage status since 2007, said, “The San Antonio Missions are a tangible representation of everything required for a functioning Spanish colonial mission system, all within a short trek along the San Antonio River. These Missions are a living example of the interchange of cultures bringing together the indigenous, Spanish, Mexican, and other influences that form South Texas today. The resulting cross-cultural exchange is the very essence of the great melting pot of the United States.”
As the largest collection of Spanish colonial architecture in the U.S., Mission Concepción, Mission San José, Mission San Juan, Mission Espada and Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo) were built in the early 1700s to convert Native Americans to Christianity and help settle this region under the flag of Spain. Straddling either side of the spring-fed San Antonio River, the five Missions are uniquely close to one another, spanning just over seven miles. They proved critical to Texas’ iconic history and heritage, shaping the San Antonio landscape with their acequias, farmfields, ranchlands and compounds. Indigenous people and people from around the empire of New Spain were brought together to share technologies, art and cultures.
Communally, they have shaped the personality of San Antonio, now the nation’s seventh-largest city, as a melting pot of Latino, Native American and Western cultures. The Mission Experience Today As protected historic sites, the Missions host millions of visitors each year. All except The Alamo are still active Catholic parishes, some with descendants of the original congregants.
The Missions are now linked by the newly expanded River Walk, a network of garden-bordered paths along the San Antonio River that connect much of the city’s history with hotels, restaurants, theaters and more. Following a recent $358 million renovation extending it from three to 15 miles, guests have the opportunity to hike or bike from Mission to Mission as well as kayak certain sections of the river.
- 12.26.19 Game Notes
- 12.22.19 Know Before You Go
- 12.18.19 SeaWorld San Antonio
- 12.09.19 A Halftime Performance to Remember
- 12.05.19 Dome Sweet Dome
- 12.04.19 Championship Game Impact
- 12.04.19 Selection Sunday Schedule
- 11.26.19 If Your Team is In, So Are You
- 11.26.19 Big 12 and Pac-12 Rivalry Week Games
- 11.20.19 Who is coming to San Antonio?
- 11.20.19 Games to Watch in Week 13
- 11.12.19 Team Selection Process 101
- 10.31.19 Experience Premium Texas Hospitality
- 10.31.19 Week 10 Game by Game Analysis
- 10.30.19 Valero Alamo Bowl Happy Hour
- 10.15.19 Pac-12 and Big 12 Week 8 Schedule
- 10.07.19 Whataburger Breakfast!
- 09.30.19 College Football Week 6
- 09.16.19 Become a San Antonio Partner Today
- 09.16.19 A Look Into CFB’s 2019 Uniforms
- 09.16.19 Pac-12 and Big 12 Must-see Matchups
- 09.05.19 Media Bowl Projections
- 09.04.19 Bowl Kicks Off Fall Event Calendar
- 08.20.19 Bowl Insider Key Match Up
- 08.20.19 Free Baseline Concussion Testing
- 08.06.19 Get in the Game for $30
- 08.06.19 College Football is Finally Back
- 07.23.19 Media Days Recap
- 07.23.19 2019 Rudy’s Bar-B-Q Pigskin Preview
- 05.13.19 Bowl kicks off on New’s Year Eve
- 04.18.19 Barron Named 2019 Bowl Chair
- 12.19.18 The Guide to a Successful Bowl Week
- 12.12.18 Celebrate Christmas at SeaWorld
- 11.27.18 Team Announcement on Sunday
- 11.19.18 An Impact to Remember
- 11.19.18 Games to be thankful for
- 10.15.18 Still Time To Win $1 Million!
- 10.01.18 Pick the teams and win big!
- 09.18.18 Your chance to join the club!
- 09.18.18 Meet the Interns: Asking Andrew
- 09.12.18 Valero Alamo Bowl Media Projections
- 09.06.18 Kickin’ It With Katie
- 09.06.18 Week 1 produces big winners!
- 09.06.18 Tickets on sale now!
- 08.17.18 Just Getting to Know Josh
- 08.14.18 Pick the Teams Contest
- 07.05.18 Meet Ashley Lopez
- 05.07.18 Help Us Find A Unicorn
- 05.02.18 Bowl Set for Friday, December 28
- 04.16.18 Kiolbassa Named 2018 Bowl Chair
- 04.05.18 Alamodome Shines During Final Four
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.22.17 Denny’s Grand Slam Giveaway
- 12.19.17 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.19.17 Ride Share
- 12.19.17 Downtown Parking
- 12.19.17 Taxi Service
- 12.19.17 Alamodome Parking
- 12.19.17 VIA Park & Ride
- 12.14.17 Denny’s $25,000 Grand Slam Giveaway!
- 12.08.17 25 for $25
- 12.06.17 Alamodome Transformation
- 11.20.17 The Leader of the Band – Al Sturchio
- 11.07.17 Don’t Wait, Buy Today!
- 11.06.17 Meet our Balloon Guy, Patrick McFall
- 10.02.17 4-2-1 Ticket Special
- 09.18.17 Calling All Groups!
- 09.05.17 Week One in the Books
- 08.31.17 Meet the Intern: Kerry Colby
- 08.22.17 PrimeSport Chairman’s Club
- 08.08.17 The Rudy’s Family Fun Pack Is Back!
- 08.07.17 Meet the Intern: Gabrielle Hawkins
- 07.24.17 Meet the Intern: Chevy Cawlfield
- 07.24.17 Are you hungry?
- 07.24.17 One Month Away From College Football
- 06.16.17 Fly With Us To See Texas at USC
- 04.13.17 San Antonio Hosts 2017 FBA Meetings
- 02.06.17 Let’s Celebrate
- 02.06.17 Big Events. Big Impact.
- 12.23.16 Upper Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Valero Alamo Bowl Game Day Timeline
- 12.22.16 Club Level Hot Spots
- 12.22.16 Lower Level Hot Spots
- 12.16.16 Help Us Fill The Bowl
- 12.05.16 The Rudy’s Family Pack Is Back
- 12.05.16 We Have a Winner!
- 12.05.16 Get Your Swag On
- 11.18.16 Tickets for Troops & Kids Matter
- 10.28.16 Getting to the Shamrock Series
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Weekend Timeline
- 10.28.16 Shamrock Series Gameday Timeline
- 10.17.16 Tailgate for Free at The Alamodome
- 10.13.16 Remember the Comeback
- 10.04.16 Win Big With “Pick the Teams”
- 10.03.16 Win Valero Alamo Bowl Tickets
- 10.03.16 Take a Shot at $1 Million Dollars
- 09.20.16 Catch a Case of Friday Night Fever!
- 09.19.16 Meet the Intern: Brianne Wigley
- 09.06.16 Gridiron Giveaway is Back!
- 09.06.16 Meet the Intern: Will Hoven
- 09.06.16 Notre Dame Returns To San Antonio
- 08.22.16 Meet the Intern: Sara McCarty
- 08.22.16 Don’t Miss The Unforgettable Action
- 08.22.16 Bowl Surprises Scholarship Winners
- 08.09.16 Countdown to College Football
- 08.08.16 Meet the Intern: Ray Silva
- 04.25.16 Jefferson Takes Helm as Chairman
- 01.11.16 Thank You From The Valero Alamo Bowl
- 01.03.16 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU – Quick Wrap
- 12.27.15 Team Arrivals
- 12.21.15 Upper Level Hotspots
- 12.20.15 Tickets As Low as 50 Cents a Point*
- 12.18.15 Club Level Hotspots
- 12.14.15 #15 Oregon vs. #11 TCU Match-Up
- 12.12.15 The San Antonio Experience
- 12.09.15 Fight Hunger, Score Free Tickets
- 12.07.15 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.30.15 Media Projections – Week #14
- 11.23.15 A Week of Bowl Festivities
- 11.20.15 Tailgate Style Turkey Day
- 11.03.15 The Suite Life
- 10.19.15 Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?
- 10.15.15 Pick The Teams Contest
- 10.05.15 PINKTOBER Ticket Package
- 10.02.15 Take a Swing at $1 Million
- 09.21.15 Buy 3 Get 1 Free Family Deal
- 09.21.15 Friday Night Fever
- 09.21.15 “Oh Whata Night!” – SA Goes Orange
- 09.21.15 Media Bowl Projections- Week 3
- 09.04.15 Meet the Intern: Josh Lightner
- 09.04.15 Hyundai College Football Pickoff
- 08.21.15 Meet the Intern: Adam Rauch
- 08.21.15 Valero Alamo Bowl Gridiron Giveaway
- 08.07.15 Meet The Intern: Alyssa Bailey
- 07.27.15 MEET THE INTERN: CHASE GRIFFIN
- 06.03.15 Summer Mixer
- 12.23.14 The Premium Seats
- 12.22.14 Plaza Level Hotspots
- 12.22.14 Upper Level Highlights
- 12.22.14 Gameday Timeline
- 12.22.14 H-E-B Tailgater of the Game
- 12.20.14 The Perfect Gift!
- 12.20.14 Tis the Season for Giving!
- 12.15.14 What They’re Saying
- 12.15.14 Gear Up and Win!
- 12.08.14 Experience Bowl Week
- 12.07.14 #11 Kansas State vs. #14 UCLA
- 12.01.14 An Olympic Sized Help
- 12.01.14 Gridiron All Stars to Shine
- 12.01.14 Loud and Proud Student Sections
- 11.24.14 Treats to be Thankful for
- 11.23.14 The Suite Life
- 11.17.14 Early Renewal Pays Off!
- 11.17.14 Return of the Final Four
- 11.17.14 Will History Repeat Itself?
- 11.10.14 Don’t miss your chance to win!
- 11.10.14 Beat Next Week’s Price Increase
- 11.10.14 Experience the Valero Alamo Bowl
- 11.03.14 Rudy’s Pack Is Back!
- 11.03.14 Bowl Projections: Week 10
- 10.30.14 Bowl Week Intinerary
- 10.27.14 Connect With Us
- 10.25.14 Downtown Partners
- 10.25.14 Transform Your Tailgate for Fall
- 10.13.14 Looking for a Fall Ride?
- 09.29.14 Top of the Line Tailgating
- 09.29.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.15.14 Sponsor Spotlight
- 09.10.14 Bowl Projections
- 09.02.14 Meet the Intern: Kelly Humphrey
- 08.04.14 Local Coach Goes Hollywood
- 12.23.13 Bowl Records Another Capacity Crowd
- 06.07.13 Bowl Improves Selection Rights
- 05.17.13 Pat Frost Returns as Bowl Chairman
- 02.04.13 Valero Alamo Bowl Highlights
- 11.21.12 Tailgating 101
- 12.29.01 SBC Southwestern Bell Alamo Fan Zone
- 03.25.99 SYLVANIA, Alamo Bowl Join Forces